Friday Digital Roundup
The Friday Digital Roundup is a witty take on the weird world of the internet. With fun stories from around the globe, it’s the only email newsletter you’ll actually read and enjoy!
We do love writing it, but clearly not as much as people like receiving it - just look at the response we got when a technical hitch meant it wasn’t sent out on time!
I didn't receive the Roundup. The Roundup comes on Friday. Therefore it can't be Friday.
No digital round-up this week?! My breakfast just wasn't the same without it :(
It's the only way to start your weekend and end the week! Miss it, miss out!
Why Can’t I Tag Someone in a Facebook Group?
Facebook groups are awesome for engagement. We’re members of loads of Groups from dogs to business and everything in between. They’re a super way to connect and talk about one particular topic, and we run a few too.
If you’d like to be in a place where you can drop in your marketing and social media questions then you should join us in Spaghetti Besties.
But there’s a problem with groups and even if you’re an admin you’ll have had this problem.
Tagging people into posts and comments doesn’t always work!
I run a large group of over 20,000 people where I can’t even tag the other admins! Awkward. This is mostly an iPhone issue it seems and it’s isolated to the iOS App for Facebook.
There’s a way around it that involves just a few clicks and the safari app on your phone and this week I wanted to share that with you.
- Firstly, you’ll need to make sure that you’re logged into Facebook on the Safari app. Just search for Facebook on Safari and log in. Simple.
- Next, head to the post on your app where you can’t tag someone and click the share button. This will give you a few options but it’s the ‘Copy Link’ option that you need.
- Click it and then you’ll have the link copied to your clipboard.
- Now head over to Safari, and paste the link in.
- Now you have that post in Safari and you can simple head to the comments (as long as you’re logged in) and you can type ‘@’ and type the name of the person you want to tag and voilá! It works.
One thing I should mention is that the share button is not available in a private or secret group. For these groups you’ll have to go to Safari, search for the group, and then the post, and then tag in the comments.
A bit messy, but it’s a great fix and one I use all the time.
I’m a member of a large Facebook Admins group and it’s a worldwide issue that Facebook are aware of. It’s quite frustrating really as it’s a core part of groups and how they work.
I’m sure they’ll get to fix it when they can.
In the meantime, I hope that helps.
Tags associated with this articleFacebook Facebook groups
Post a comment
We'd love to know what you think - please leave a comment!